Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Blog #2 Research and the reflective practitioner

Overwhelmed is the best word I can think of when describing all of the web 2.0tools that I have looked at over the past week or so. Actually most of the tools that we have used or discussed are all new to me, I never had any idea that there were so many different learning devices that could be used in the classroom. When being overwhelmed by the variety I was not too overwhelmed by the complexity. I thought that a lot of the tools I looked at were pretty easy to use even though it was only at a quick glance.
When researching I thought how graphic organizers would be a really good asset to my teaching but I also think that a wiki would help me as a teacher and also the students. At my school classes meet on a six day cycle and for my classes every third meeting we are in a classroom the other meetings being in the gymnasium, so I thought to myself it seems like I am always reminding the students what to do and what assignments are coming. If I were to establish a wiki it would save me a lot of time and be very beneficial to the students. Overall I was amazed at the information and tools that our out their to use. I only wish that our district would make it possible for the teachers and students to access these websites.

4 comments:

megfritzphd said...

Choose 1 site that you would like to work on for the next year. Then, ask your district to "open" it up to you. You can gradually share it with them to show all of the neat things you can do with it!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the feeling of being overwhelmed. While researching new tools, I was becoming interested with another link on a page and going in a different direction. Like you said, it was more of an information overload rather than being complex and difficult. Agreeing with Dr. Fritz- choosing one tool to start with is the best idea, and then run with it.

Susan Martin said...

I agree that focusing on one tool at a time is the best method for both using technology effectively yourself and also to bring new technology into your school. I think taking the time to really work the kinks out with one tool makes it a positive experience for everyone. If you can make it positive perhaps you can then encourage them to put a crack in the wall.

I believe that this blog,Tech Savy...or Not? was created by an elementary teacher who teaches in your district. She has also been working on cracking the technology wall in the district. You may want to email her and see how she has been able to open some chanels.

Victoria said...

Thanks for the question on my blog. I have a wikispaces account and have done one or two things with that, but honestly I haven't really gotten it off the ground yet. I was going to work on this for my final project, but a different opportunity presented itself that fit perfectly with Voice Thread, so I turned my focus to this. I am trying to decide how exactly I want it to work for me and my students. I know for sure I want to use it for online conversation and discussion and to post assignments, projects, and useful links. I also haven't asked my students to sign up for their accounts yet, so that will also be one of the next steps.